Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Little Dresser Love!!

I have been slowly changing out all the crappy Ikea dressers that have fallen apart in our house over the last few years. I am finding that if I buy something old, it tends to be longer lasting and better made. So off I have gone scrounging the thrift shops and flea markets. Well a couple months ago I found...
Nothing too special other than the fact that it's funky vintage. I especially live that I paid about $10 for it! I wanted to do a plain white "chalk paint" look since it was going in my little girl's room. I am not 100% sure that I won't distress it a little bit, but for now I am happy with the way it looks. It is very shabby chic and Evie is thrilled!!
I am thinking for now that I will leave it this way and wait until inspiration strikes again. I think I may have to do her little night stand to match... It's the only brown thing in the room!
Here is a close up of the top drawer detail.
Kind of a sweet vintage touch. I like that this dresser does not need handles. Although hardware is never a problem for me to change out, I love the smooth fronts on the drawers.

So this project required a touch of sanding, a little scuffing to allow the paint to have a better grip. Once I cleaned off all traces of dust from sanding, I started layering thin coats of flat white spray paint. I must have done about 6 coats. Flat white paint had a tendency to have shadows, so you will need more coats. Do them thin and do more of them, this will help you avoid runs and will give you a nicer finish. Once everything was dry I did wax the runners do the drawers would move more smoothly.
That's it! Took a few hours and we are done!
Hope you share your projects with me 

Marie

8 comments:

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

Sweet! You are so right...older furniture, made with real wood, lasts so much longer! This is beautiful...you are so multi-talented. Marie!

Anonymous said...

Very nice transformation!

Therese's Treasures said...

Very nice Skye, old furniture is the best it was so well made, your little girl will have this one for a long time. I still have and use the dresser my parent purchased when I was born way back in 1959. It has been refinished by me and is still holding strong.
Therese

Keith@ Vintage Crab Jewelry and Crafts said...

It's amazing what a coat of paint will do, great find!

CraftyHope said...

It's GREAT! And, what a bargain too. I don't think I've ever seen anything at that price worth buying before. Wonderful!

lunedreams said...

I love the flat white paint! Gives it a very soft look. Good dressers are hard to find!

Norella Bouchard said...

It turned out beautiful Marie! <3 I love the flat white. So bright, clean & chic <3

Sharyl said...

Looks beautiful! I love old furniture too!