Thursday, April 16, 2015

It's been awhile...

I guess I kind of vanished for, well, over a year! It's hard when you get stuck in a rut and can't climb your way out. Sometimes you just need to step back and let time do what time needs to do.
I have finally found myself creating again, I just need to grasp inspiration when and where I can find it.
So this morning while perusing Facebook, I came across my friend Staci's post about a tutorial she posted. I was curious to see what it was so I went and looked at the post. I have always admired Staci's eclectic/tribal style. Fun bold pieces that always catch the eye. She posted the tutorial on the Love My Art Jewelry page on Facebook. I hope you will take a moment to go and like the page.
 Staci shows in her tutorial how to use the fibers and wrap them, as well as showing what she wrapped to start off the necklace. I have wrapped fiber, cording and leather before, but I wanted to try something in a similar style as Staci's. I still wanted it to look mostly like me. I think I achieved what I was going for.
 The biggest difference with my piece is that instead of adding two sides of sari/ribbon I did one long piece in the back that hooks onto the side. I like that this made it a tad easier to make and I love the feel on the back of my neck. It's softer and more comfortable.
 I used a Sugar skull pendant by my dear friend Gaea and an awesome ammonite piece by my birthday sister Diana. Those were what I started with. I added some amazing lampwork disc beads by the ever talented Donna. I have been hoarding these for quite awhile. I used one of my own organic attempts at lampworking, and I find it fits in quite nicely! I chose a silk sari and a sort of silky ribbon that my sweet friend Marsha sent me when I was sick.
I wrapped everything in black annealed steel wire which I need to seal with my missing renaissance wax!! Oh where oh where could you be!?!?
 I purposely wrapped the wire very organically. I wanted the piece to look rustic and earthy. I'm so thankful for all my wonderful Art bead and Facebook friends. Thank you for your support, inspiration and friendship.
Thanks for visiting!!
Marie 

6 comments:

Melanie LeGrand said...

I enjoyed your post and will go check out staci's post. Thanks so much sharing :-) have a great day!!

Unknown said...

Lovely to have you back! An inspiring post. I'm going to dig my sari silk out. Just a thought though ... If the silk is wired into the necklace - how on earth do you keep it clean? Doesn't it look grubby after a while?

Silver Parrot said...

Glad to see you back, Marie! I took a long hiatus, too, so I know how hard it is to get back into the groove. Really glad to see your blog active again.

Shai Williams said...

So glad to see you back. I hope you are feeling better. Love the design!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful. I love what you said about sometimes you just have to let time do what it needs to do. So true. It seems to have worked here!

Judy Dobberpuhl said...

Love your site and all your amazing and magical creations Marie! Thank you for connecting! <3