Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Bavin Glass Cabin" and ME!

Now when I say Cabin, I literally mean cabin! What a fun and cute little place it was. I thought I would post up photos of my awesome lampwork glass experience. My daughter took these pictures of me working. Then the batteries died before she could get a cool pic of any of the beads.
Now if the camera adds 20lbs I look better than I thought. lol. I am working hard at losing a few pounds right now and these pictures don't make me feel too bad about myself. Gotta love the sexy glasses. I put my hair up since I did not want to set it on fire. I loved learning all the techniques, the beginner ones at least. Now I see how much work it really is to create these beauties.
I was looking into how much everything costs to start doing this at home and I can see why some artists charge so much for their beads. In Canadian dollars it would be at least $3000 with a small basic kiln. WOW! I can not imagine putting out that kind of money. I did find a place in Calgary that teaches classes, so I might go and do a little more of that for fun and just keep getting more of Sue's gorgeous beads. It seems to be a worthwhile investment to purchase from her instead of setting up my own shop. lol.That is Becky in the picture, she was my instructor the day before. So you are actually seeing pictures of me on my Birthday!! I was so glad to be able to go and do this instead of being at the cabin with people. I loved being there and being able to relax and not have to think about anything other than what I was doing.
I still have to take pics of the beads themselves, so keep checking back and I will be posting them soon.
Thanks for coming
Marie




3 comments:

Silver Parrot said...

The kiln is the priciest item. If you can find a local place that already has a kiln and will agree to anneal your beads for you, then you can actually do a basic set up with a hot head torch and MAPP gas for not very much money. That's how I started out. Some people also use a pot of heated particles called "vermiculite" to anneal their beads. For a basic round bead, it's okay to do this way. I've also heard that it's fairly easy to find deals on used kilns to bring the cost down.

Aren't those glasses stylin', though?

SueBeads said...

Nice birthday present! Can't wait to see the beads!

Erin Siegel said...

You look so cute!!! I love those glasses on you. Looks like a lot of fun! What a great birthday. Looking forward to seeing the beads!